Skip to main content

Here’s Some Awesome News if You’re Struggling with Self-Doubt



“Your life is only limited by how far your thoughts and actions will take you”.
Jackie Capers-Brown

Are you questioning if you have what it takes to realize a dream or goal you’re pursuing or want to pursue? Welcome to the club. High achievers experience fear and self-doubt. We don’t allow it to paralyze us. We find a way to tap into a greater measure of the seeds of greatness within and take action anyway. You can do the same.

Check out the following quotes and how they were proven wrong by people who believed in their dreams and ideas in the face of naysayers. Together, we can disrupt the status-quo by embracing the fullness of our potential. Together, we have the power to create a shift that positions us to have a greater impact on the world around us.

“I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.”
~Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943~

“There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.”
~Ken Olson, President, Chairman and Founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977~

I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won’t last out the year.”
~Editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957~

“This telephone has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us.”
~Western Union, internal memo, 1876~

A cookie star is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say America like crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make.”
~Response to Debbie Field’s idea of starting Mrs. Field’s Cookies~

“We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.”
~Decca Recording Company, rejecting the Beatles, 1962~

“I’m just glad it’ll be Clark Gable who’s falling on his face and not Gary Cooper.”
~Gary Cooper on his decision not to take the leading role in Gone With the Wind~


“So we went to Atari and said, “Hey, we’ve got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or, we’ll give it to you. We just want to do it with you. Pay our salary and we’ll come work for you.” And they said, “No”. So we went to Hewlett-Packard, who said, “Hey, we don’t need you. You haven’t got through college yet.”
~Steve Jobs, Founder of Apple Computer, on attempts to get Atari and HP interested in his and Steve Wozniak’s personal computer~

“The concept is interesting and well-informed but in order to earn better than a “C”, the idea must be feasible.
~A Yale University management professor in response to Fred Smith’s paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service (Smith went on to found Federal Express)

You Can Be So Much More

The potential to accomplish the impossible is so real, that it is worth all
of our efforts to continually strive to find all the keys to make consistently
tapping into this potential possible.
~Richard W. James, author of Personal Leadership~

There is no guarantee that everything that we pursue is going to work out as we hoped or planned. However, this thought should not prevent us from taking baby steps into the unknown to give birth to our ideas. Destiny is achieved by those who feel fear and do what it takes anyway to make what they desire happen. Are you the captain of your fate? Or, are you allowing life dictate your fate?

 An “all-or-nothing” attitude towards any “new” idea sucks up our energy when we need as much energy that we can muster to create momentum and progress with a “new” idea. You can consider a collaborative relationship with someone who has knowledge and talents that you do not possess. You don’t have to go it alone. Keep your options open and maintain a flexible attitude towards the process. This mindset increases your ability to pursue your ideas with greater success.

Disrupt the Status-Quo by Flipping Your Script

When I first came across these quotes several years ago, I was at the point in which I was about to give up on my desire to be a paid freelance writer, author, and speaker. I had reached out to customers of a business I was managing at the time to get professional feedback about next steps. Unfortunately, each person suggested that I shouldn’t give up my corporate gig to follow my dream of becoming a business owner. They “saw” me as a lifetime corporate girl, just as they saw themselves. They had no clue that my Dad instilled in me a belief that I was destined to become a business owner. This belief is part of my DNA. 

It wasn’t until I became a member of Toastmasters that I came in contact with a group of individuals who, after getting to know me and my strengths, begin to see me from the perspective of a business owner.  Members of my Lamplighters club in Wilmington, NC provided me with constructive feedback as to the next steps I needed to take to use public speaking as a vehicle to share empowering messages and build a training business.

Today, as an author, speaker, mentor and professional growth teacher, I have such gratitude in my heart for those Toastmasters club members who reminded me that it is my responsibility to define my fate. As the path of my sacred work continues to evolve, I am mindful of my responsibility to embody a spirit of service so that others are encouraged and empowered to believe in their ability to tap into the greatness within them. 

My work begins with helping people “flip the script” on their limiting beliefs and assumptions. Join our community if you want to be a part of creating a legacy with your life and work that makes the world a better place to live, love and play. 

In 2016, I’ll be launching a new website with new features such as a FREE monthly mentoring call for community members only, podcast interviews specifically to support the growth and success of  GFF members to fee-based online courses. All of which is outside of my comfort zone. Yet, I have structured the implementation of these and other features on the website throughout 2016 to grow the capacity of those I serve to unleash a greater measure of the greatness within them, while growing my impact and business online.

Check out the Get Unstuck Now 2.0 version of my book. Revised cover and content. Available on Amazon.com. Click on the following link for detail about Get Unstuck Now.


  
Love and Light,


Jackie

Popular posts from this blog

8 Reasons You Feel Emotionally Exhausted

If you neglect to recharge a battery, it dies. And if you run full speed ahead without stopping for water, you lose momentum to finish the race.
~ Oprah Winfrey ~

How often have you thought, “Where’s my get up and go? I’m tired all the time. But it’s not my body that’s tired. It’s like it’s me that’s tired inside my body.” So many of us are caught up in an energy rat race”, according to Mira Kirshenbaum, author of The Emotional Energy Factor: The Secrets High Energy People Use to Beat Emotional Fatigue. She says, “The demands of life, if not managed, will exhaust our emotional energy.” Emotional energy is defined by Kirshenbaum as “the preconditions for everything we care about. Everything worth doing that’s difficult gets lost without it. Marriages fail when we run out of the emotional energy to reach one more time across the divide of anger and silence. Dreams die when we lack the emotional energy to hang in there in the face of all the obstacles.” In my blog post, Simple Steps to Mana…

Veteran Day Quotes: 45 Inspirational Images and Sayings to Honor Our Veterans!

Managing Your Greatest Workplace Frustration

Whenever you’re in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.
~William James~
If I conducted a survey on your job and it consisted of this question: Out of the following two issues, which would you say is the greatest source of your workplace frustration: “people issues” or “job tasks”, which of the two issues do you believe would receive the most votes? For most of us, once we master the primary tasks related to our job, we are usually able to complete our position responsibilities with little or no help or supervision. But, when it comes down to dealing with rude customers, over-demanding bosses, and hard to get along with co-workers, most of us, would probably vote “people issues” as the greatest source of our workplace frustration. In this article, you will learn about key factors that can be used to better manage your workplace relationships and reduce the frustration that you…