Skip to main content

Here's How You Can Take Baby Steps to Create a Better Life

When you awaken each day, do you have a question or a thought that inspires you to be better than you were yesterday?

When I came across the question in this image, it reminded me of the question I'm constantly asking myself, "How can I be better today than I was yesterday?"

By no means do I achieve this every day. However, focusing on this question challenges me to be open to new possibilities as I embrace the fullness of what each day offers. 

Baby steps can lead to living a better life.

My personal and professional theme for 2015 is Daring Greatly which has been inspired by the book written by Brené Brown.

In the book, Brené shares verses from Theodore Roosevelt's speech "Citizen in a Republic" which is sometimes referred to as "The Man in the Arena." 

The passage of the speech that made the speech famous:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strive valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again,


because there is no effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause;


who at best knows in the end triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly..."





Too often, our fear of failure or the opinions of others create self-imposed limitations of what  is possible in our lives. 

Robin Sharma says, "Potential not realized today will become pain tomorrow."

I can attest to this being true in my life.





A Challenge to Making My Dream a Reality

For three years, I have been sending detail information to various organizations about my signature empowerment system the My DRIVE Advantage™ Strategy sharing my conviction that this system of steps could help students from elementary to college, adults unemployed, domestic violence victims to front-line employees and people feeling stuck successfully navigate their way forward by creating a plan unique to their strengths that would empower them to flip the script on limiting beliefs and redefine what's possible in their lives.

Now mind you, when I started sharing this strategy with representatives of local school districts including Gear Up, Small Business Development office, the Employment Security Commission, Department of Social Services, domestic violence shelters, women shelters, a few churches and local colleges, and not one person agreed to meet with me to discuss the pamphlet I'd created or the presentations I'd developed and the benefits to those they serve.

With several non-profit organizations, all I'd asked if they would make the pamphlet I'd created explaining the steps and suggestions on how to apply them available FREE of charge to those they serve as a download on their website AND still the answer was "No, we're not interested."

I was very disheartened about this  because I'd seen first hand, not just in my own life, but in the life of co-workers on the teams I'd managed during my corporate career, the power of using these steps to develop a plan that shifted the trajectory of their lives for the better.



Overcoming My Dream Challenge

So,  I put the idea of sharing the strategy with organizations on the back burner and turned my attention to writing my book, Get Unstuck Now where I would share the strategy with individuals and provide  a step by step guide to implementing them into their daily lives.

After publishing my book last year, I had a few of my contacts read it to provide me with constructive feedback ( I know, I should have done this prior to publishing it), and I conducted case studies to share the empowerment process and how to implement it into one's daily life.

As a result of feedback from my professional contacts and many of the participants of my case studies, I am now certain that these actions applied consistently over time will empower people to flip the script on limiting beliefs and redefine new possibilities in their lives. 
I must do everything in my power to get this information in the hands of  as many people as possible. Which is why, I am giving access to the steps to anyone reading this article. You can download a copy of the My DRIVE Advantage™ Strategy here.

For many of you reading this article, the steps by themselves will provide you with a framework of actions that will give you the clarity and direction you need without additional information.

For those of you needing additional support, my book, Get Unstuck Now serves as a guide to implementing these actions so that you flip the script on limiting beliefs and start to unleash your power to manifest new possibilities in your life.

This experience of making my dream of empowering masses of people with a simple, yet highly effective process for creating sustainable positive change in their lives is still in the early stages, however, I have learned that taking baby steps can move mountains. Especially when they are inspired from a heart of service.

So, I have a question for you...




Baby Steps to Better Life
  • Decide to commit to creating positive change in some aspect of your life.
  • Make a short list of 3-5 tasks, activities/experiences that you think and feel will help you achieve the positive change you desire.
  • Review your weekly agenda and determine the tasks/activities that diminish your ability to achieve the positive change you desire.
  • Start to replace the tasks/activities that diminishes your chance of experiencing the change your want with tasks from the shortlist you created.

    By giving yourself something to look forward to and something to do that's within your control to create the change you want to experience, your vision and actions begin to inspire the best in you. 

    A Lesson Learned


    What I know for sure is this, when I wasn't able to make any progress towards realizing my dream I was very disheartened. I had to face the reality that no matter how much I may believe in something, others have the right to not believe in it.

    The vision I have for how the My DRIVE Advantage™ Strategy can actually add value in the lives of others by empowering their smarts and strength to create shifts within them to be their best self and live their best life is my dream.

    Therefore, it is my responsibility to do whatever it takes to keep pressing forward and sharing it through my articles here and elsewhere, during presentations and online programs that I'm currently developing.

    As I've said many times on this blog and in each of my books, success is rarely a straight path. Being adaptable and open to constructive feedback from others is essential to our success journey.

    Our willingness to get in the arena and be imperfect is a measure of our courage and an indication of the depth of commitment we have towards the achievement of our dreams and goals.

    One of the major aha's I've received from Brené Brown's work is highlighted in the following video.






    It is my intention that this post inspires you to start asking yourself on a daily basis, "What is the ONE thing I can do to show up more daring and bold today?" And then begin to take baby steps. If you make this a consistent habit, baby steps will lead to you experiencing a better life.

    Any thoughts about this article? Share them in the comments below.

    Be a catalyst for positive change. Share this article with your friends and family.

    Much love and gratitude

    Jackie






    Popular posts from this blog

    8 Reasons You Feel Emotionally Exhausted

    If you neglect to recharge a battery, it dies. And if you run full speed ahead without stopping for water, you lose momentum to finish the race.
    ~ Oprah Winfrey ~

    How often have you thought, “Where’s my get up and go? I’m tired all the time. But it’s not my body that’s tired. It’s like it’s me that’s tired inside my body.” So many of us are caught up in an energy rat race”, according to Mira Kirshenbaum, author of The Emotional Energy Factor: The Secrets High Energy People Use to Beat Emotional Fatigue. She says, “The demands of life, if not managed, will exhaust our emotional energy.” Emotional energy is defined by Kirshenbaum as “the preconditions for everything we care about. Everything worth doing that’s difficult gets lost without it. Marriages fail when we run out of the emotional energy to reach one more time across the divide of anger and silence. Dreams die when we lack the emotional energy to hang in there in the face of all the obstacles.” In my blog post, Simple Steps to Mana…

    Veteran Day Quotes: 45 Inspirational Images and Sayings to Honor Our Veterans!

    Managing Your Greatest Workplace Frustration

    Whenever you’re in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.
    ~William James~
    If I conducted a survey on your job and it consisted of this question: Out of the following two issues, which would you say is the greatest source of your workplace frustration: “people issues” or “job tasks”, which of the two issues do you believe would receive the most votes? For most of us, once we master the primary tasks related to our job, we are usually able to complete our position responsibilities with little or no help or supervision. But, when it comes down to dealing with rude customers, over-demanding bosses, and hard to get along with co-workers, most of us, would probably vote “people issues” as the greatest source of our workplace frustration. In this article, you will learn about key factors that can be used to better manage your workplace relationships and reduce the frustration that you…