Sunday, October 19, 2014

Get Into the Thanksgiving Spirit: Be A Part of the "Feeling Grateful" Blog Series




In the November 2014 issue of O magazine, contributors in the issue get in the thanksgiving spirit by answering four statements about gratefulness. As soon as I read there answers, my next thought was, “How can I get at least 30 or more people to answer the same statements to create a Feeling Grateful Series on my blog, Grow Forward & Flourish?”

I decided to write this post with the intention of inspiring a people to take time out of there schedule to pen a few sentences that reflect what they are grateful for in their lives by answering the following four + Bonus statements:


  1. I'll never stop being grateful for...
  2. My favorite way to say thank you is...
  3. The best thank you I've received was...
  4. When I was a kid, I didn't realize how grateful I should have been for...
  5. (Bonus) The attitude of gratitude helps me to...







Nurturing an attitude of gratitude for that which I have certainly plays a HUGE role in my ability to maintain my joy and happiness, even during difficult times. It is no secret that feeling grateful creates space in our hearts and lives for experiencing more of that which we can be grateful for.

In his book, Flourish: A Visionary New Understanding of Happiness and Well-being, Martin Seligman suggest that we practice the “What-Went-Well” Exercise because in the age of anxiety and worry culture that we live in, he says, “ We think too much about what goes wrong and not enough about what goes right in our lives. Of course, sometimes it makes sense to analyze bad events so that we can learn from them and avoid them in the future. However, people tend to spend more time thinking about what is bad in life than is helpful. Worse, this focus on negative events sets us up for anxiety and depression. One way to keep this from happening is to get better at thinking about and savoring what went well.”

He explains how to practice the exercise. “Every night for the next week, set aside ten minutes before you go to sleep. Write down three things that went well today and why they went well. You may use a journal or your computer to write about the events, but it important that you have a physical record of what you wrote.” Seligman encourages us to do this exercise for a six month period and we'll begin to experience less anxiety and reduce depression.

I can attest to the effectiveness of this exercise for enhancing feelings of well-being in my own life and in the lives of those I mentor who embrace the practice with an openness to new experiences. It works! Which is why I'm mentioning it in this post because you and I don't have to wait until November to get in the thanksgiving spirit. We can practice being grateful for what we have on a daily basis. Perhaps by practicing the What-Went-Well exercise, you will be inspired to take part in the Grow Forward & Flourish Feeling Grateful Series that will run from November 1-30th, 2015

During the series, I will share the answers that I receive from individual who felt inspired and grateful for this opportunity to share their answers to the statements above with others.

Send your responses to jackiecapersbrown@gmail.com. Put in the subject line of your email, Feeling Grateful Submission. Please include with your submission a photo of you and a three sentence bio and contact information. I will be excepting submissions for the 2nd Annual "Feeling Grateful" Blog series from September, 31, 2015 thru November 8, 2015. 

Last year, the "Feeling Grateful" blog series was the most viewed series on Grow Forward & Flourish. I am so grateful for all those that participated in last year's series. It helped many people get in the spirit of the holidays while embracing the new year with positive expectations.






Thank you in advance for helping to make the “Feeling Grateful” blog series a success.


Much Gratitude,






Jackie Capers-Brown

Founder, Grow Forward & Flourish