Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Procrastination Diet: Week 3 Update

This week's Procrastination Diet directed my attention to initiating the process of developing relationships with other small business owners in Columbia, SC and surrounding areas.

At the beginning of this year, I made a commitment to reach out to small business owners. I've had a lot of success on LinkedIn, however there are some aspects of doing business that I prefer to do the old-fashion way, face to face.

You're probably thinking, "In this time of social media influence and reach, why would someone prefer to do business face to face?".

That's a concern of a business mentor. As he helps me develop a business strategy for marketing the informational products I want to make available online in the next 18 months, he feels that I might be stretching myself too thin trying to stick to my plan of networking with a purpose "x" amount of times a month. Right now, I feel confident that I can pace myself and still meet my quarterly goals in that time frame. Besides, I love face to face interactions and getting to know people in this manner.

Initiating this Procrastination Diet has been an eye opener. I am more aware of activities that has served to be a "thief of time".  That doesn't mean that this new found awareness has made it easier for me to stick with the allotted time that I've scheduled for such things as updating my social media pages. Quite the contrary, my habit of procrastination runs deeper than I even thought.

Bump in the Road: Originally, I planned for the Kindle version of my upcoming book, Get Unstuck Now: Changing Your Story, Unleashes Your Power to Move On and Be Happy to be published in August 2013. We planned to do this to determine how well online ads were building sells of the ebook before releasing the paperback. We've scratched that plan and both versions are being released in October 2013.

Growth Opportunity: I participated in a personal development training course on Friday, August 13, 2013 which has been one of the best that I've attended in years. When you can immerse yourself in training without distraction, and put it to immediate use your retention of it skyrockets.

This week's updates:

  • Last Tuesday, I did not post an update of the Procrastination Diet. Regardless of the reasons, I have to apologize to this community for failing to keep my word. Had I written and scheduled he post on Monday, then the circumstances I was faced with on Tuesday morning would not have prevented me from sticking to my plan. All another reason for me to remember how putting off tasks prevents me from being my best self.

  • I completed two phone interviews for upcoming Living Your Legacy Now! blog segments. I enjoy these insightful and inspiring conversations, they remind me of my days at WHQR in Wilmington, NC. They will be posted on Saturdays @4pm starting September 21, 2013.
  •  I joined freeconferencingcall.com, so I'm now able to record these interviews. This will help me determine if I willing to commit to a weekly podcast feature for the Grow Forward & Flourish community.
  • I attended WOW: Woman to Woman Afterwork Social in Columbia, SC on Wednesday, Sept. 11, 2013. Our host were Monica Scriven of ExtravagentDesigns and Tamara Canzater of Creative Cooking. DeAnna Bookert of The Bookert Agency in Columbia, SC was our speaker. I thoroughly enjoyed this networking event. Here's a few photos.



  • Completed a presentation for a local college in Columbia, SC on how to help students create their college success story.

I would love to hear about the actions you've taken to overcome procrastination? Share your comments below.

Thank you for contributing your ideas and knowledge with the Grow Forward & Flourish community.

Thank you for sharing this post with others.

Until the next time...

B Fearless

Jackie B