Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Procrastination Diet Update: Week 2


Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.
~Charles Dickens~



In 1990, my General Manager, Dee Hucks gifted me with Stephen Covey's book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. As a new member of the hotel's management team, she made it clear to me that she believed in my potential to be a successful manager with Marriott, however to make that happen I needed additional knowledge, skills, support and experience.  "It's not just going to happen by wishing for it or by just working hard", she said. She pointed out, "You need to make sure that you are being effective at meeting the standards required of you by Marriott to achieve your success". The information shared in The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People provided me with a blueprint as to the personal changes I needed to make to become effective at exceeding the expectations of my boss and her boss in my new management position.

Looking back at the beginning of my leadership career, I can't impress upon you how important it is to engage in ongoing training and development for navigating a successful career. I was constantly pushing the envelope of how much more I could do. 

This attitude required that I get use to being the "newbie" in many situations. It taught me the importance of being comfortable with discomfort and that my initial thoughts of being self-conscious disappears as soon as I focus on my purpose of service. I stood in what I knew and the results of my teams.

My goal then and today: beat my personal best. I didn't focus on what others were doing outside of my quest to learn about best practices that I could implement to improve my leadership and business results.

During this past week on my Procrastination Diet, I spent a lot of time thinking about the legacy of my life and what it is I want to accomplish with the remaining time I have left on this side of heaven. I realized that in my desire to take advantage of opportunities and being "new" in some aspects of what I am undertaking, I have to be very clear as to what constitutes an opportunity and what represents the depletion of my energy with no clear advantage for sharing my core message: Changing Your Story, Changes Your Life and increasing my business growth.



Your audacious life goals are fabulous. We’re proud of you for having them. But it’s possible that those goals are designed to distract you from the thing that’s really frightening you—the shift in daily habits that would mean a re–invention of how you see yourself.

—Seth Godin

Any time that you embark on a change in your life, make time to get clear about what it is that you envision and the key steps that will move you in that direction. It'll help you avoid the trap of being busy with activity versus taking specific action on a daily basis that leads to desired results. 

This week's Procrastination Diet directed my attention on the legacy that I want to live now. The thoughts that came from my periods of introspection led to this post, Living My Legacy Now!



You want to approach the gate with clarity. Begin with the end in mind. You want to improve your focus, increase your energy and passion and eliminate taking an half haphazard approach to your dreams and goals: begin with the end in mind. What is it that you need to accomplish today, and this week that will lead to the goals that you want to accomplish for this month?

Bump in the Road: I discovered that an element of my procrastination habit came down to filling my daily planner with "busy work". Being busy just for "busy sake" does not build a solid foundation for sustainable  personal and professional successes. This foundation has to formed with smart and effective thinking and behavioral habits.  

Growth Opportunity: Paying attention to small details, identifying key critical factors and completing tasks associated with these factors is an effective approach to achieving success in any endeavor. I am reminded of the scripture verse, "He that is faithful in that which is least, is faithful also in much"(Luke 16:10). 


Procrastination Diet Update: Week 2


  • I heard about Clickbank a year ago. I was slow in recognizing it's power to help me be successful as I wear the business hat of an infopreneur. Now, I have a Clickbank account which will give me considerable freedom with my digital products.
  • For the first time, last week I entered a scholarship contest to receive access to Live Your Legend's Connect With Anyone Program. I found out this morning that I didn't win, however I found the idea of going after my dream down a different path refreshing.
  • I scheduled the first meetup for the Columbia Master Mind Group for 8 am, September 10, 2013 at the Starbucks on Gervais St. in Columbia, SC. Join us.
  • I launched the Living Your Legacy Now! Interview series. You can read about the series here and my first interview here.
  • I'm postponing the FREE teleseminar series Coach Me If You Can, to focus on writing projects, building the momentum for the success of Columbia's Master Mind group, the promotion of my book, Get Unstuck Now: Changing Your Story, Unleashes Your Power to Move On and Be Happy due out September 2013 and the development of the online training program based on my book for 2014.
Taking this week to get very clear about what it is that I am striving to accomplish has helped me to be more conscious of practicing the habit of being proactive. I'm clearer on what I need to say YES! too while at the same time, what I need to say NO! too.

I thought that the following Slideshare presentation would be a quick reminder to those familiar with Covey's work and provide newbie's with a taste of what they can look forward to by becoming a student and practitioner of his work.




How have you been getting more done by being on a Procrastination Diet? 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, ideas and suggestions with the GFF community. When we help one another, we become a source for greater good in our world. 

Thank you for sharing this post with your friends.

Until the next time...

B Fearless

Jackie B