Skip to main content

Living My Legacy Now!:Tyra Oliver, CEO Mastering Your Goals


Tyra Oliver lives in Columbia, SC. She is originally from Orangeburg, SC. Tyra is currently attending Webstr University pursuing her Master’s degree in Mental Health Counseling.

She is the CEO and founder of Mastering Your Goals, a program which educates, equips and empowers single parents and their families with information and resources which enable them to master the development of their goal achievement skills.

Tyra is also currently working with Shanika Wilson, organizer of the non-profit, Your Baby, My Baby in Virginia to establish the program in Columbia, SC. 

Tyra’s commitment to continuously growing herself beyond her comfort zone, got my attention. She is stretching herself through her educational goals, the Mastering Your Goals program and with her plans of bringing the Your Baby, My Baby program to Columbia, SC.

Tyra is passionate about her studies and the work she is doing in helping single parents and their families establish and achieve goals. It was refreshing to interview Tyra. She inspires hope for a better future in the lives of individuals that are faced with daunting odds.

Q1: What were the experience (s) that led up to you doing this legacy work?

Tyra: I grew up in a single parent home. I saw how difficult it was for my mother to be a single parent. I can relate to the challenges that they face. When I was in high school, I became friends with a few teen moms and learned about the challenges they faced just to stay in school and graduate. From rising early in the mornings to bathe, feed and get their baby ready for a sitter before getting themselves ready for school. While I was in high school, I helped my friend out as much as I was able.

Q2: What is a defining moment when you knew that you were making a positive difference in the lives of others?

Tyra: I started seeing how the mindset of my clients began to change. Her clients started to feel better. They began to ask what their next steps were.

Q3: How did this effect you?

Tyra: It inspired me to dig deeper within me and increase my capacity to do more. I want to develop a more efficient way of helping individuals achieve their goals.

Q4: How has your passion work impacted your spiritual beliefs?

Tyra: I feel everything is possible, as long as you have Christ. Things begin to fall in place when you are around the right people and the right time. I believe that God has equipped me to do this work. I believe with God nothing is impossible. Our purpose is spiritually designed for a testimony of God’s goodness.

Q5: Have you had moments when you felt like giving up?

Tyra: Yes. In January 2013, my baby son died after living 16 weeks. The loss of my son, hurt my heart in a way that I’d never experienced before. I had no desire to do much of anything. I thought to myself, “I had so many plans for my son. Now, they won’t be realized.” I had moments when I felt there was no reason to live. I was depressed. I would ask God, “Why, me?”

Then, I met Shanika Davis of the Your Baby, My Baby organization. Shanika shared her experience of losing her child. I attended support group meetings where I heard the stories of other mothers who had lost their baby. Being around other mothers who had lost their child and had found reasons to hope again, inspired hope in my heart.

Q6: What helped you to press through and maintain your faith and hope during this time?

Tyra: After praying to God asking him "why, me?", I felt encouraged in my spirit to begin to pour out my love on the children at the school where I worked. Many of them are inner-city children, so I wanted to share with them the love and encouragement I would have given to my son. I would say to them, “You are smart”, “You are brilliant”, and “You can do whatever it is you put your mind to doing”. Pouring my love into this kids helped me on my journey of healing my heart after my loss.

Q7: As a result of your passion work, Mastering Your Goals and your experience with the Your Baby, My Baby organization, how have you expanded your comfort zone?

Tyra: I’ve always knew that I wanted to own a business. I read a lot and I’m currently listening to Napoleon Hill. These and other activities are helping me to cultivate a success mindset. I hold myself accountable for completing tasks related to my goals. I’m building alliance with others so that I can do more work in the community. It is important to me that I do what I say I’m going to do because trust is very important to me in my relationships. Personal integrity is key to doing business and having strong relationships.

Q8: What do you envision to be the change you want to create in the world as a result of the work that you are doing?

Tyra: I envision individuals being able to see that their life have a purpose, regardless of the present state of their lives. I want to be a living testimony of the goodness of God and how you can begin right where you are and map out a course of actions that will help you get to a better place. By bringing the Your Baby, My Baby program to Columbia, I’m hoping that it will help mothers who have lost a child to regain a sense of hope.

Q9: Why is this important to you?

Tyra: After my experience of losing a child and growing up in a single parent household, I can relate to individuals who are struggling with these particular situations. I believe that I can have a positive impact on their life. I believe that I can inspire them to see that their circumstance can become their purpose. They can use their lives to inspire others with hope and a sense of purpose to pay it forward in the lives of others.

Q10: What are some actions that you would suggest to someone who has had similar experiences and their not sure what to do next?

Tyra: I would suggest that they reach out to others and express what it is that they need and/or want to do. Do some research on what it is that you need and/or want to achieve. Don’t limit what is possible by your present circle. Move out of your comfort zone. Contact non-profits in your area. They have people who are willing to help you. Get a mentor, someone who is where you want to be or has done what it is that you are striving to do.

Q11: Are you aware of additional resources?

Tyra: If you’ve lost a child, find a local support group. Get around children and pour your love into them. These actions will help you begin to heal the hurt in our heart. For those striving to achieve goals, I suggest that they create a vision board. Even the bible encourages us to “write the vision and make it plain.” A vision board will serve as a daily reminder of where you are going. There’s a lot of distractions in our world. A vision board helps you to stay focused on what’s most important to you and what actions you need to take to get where it is you want to go in life. Put yourself in a circle of people who will help support you to your next level.

Q12 Do you have any upcoming events and last words?

Tyra: I’m working with single parents on the weekend. I’m in the planning stages of bringing Your Baby, My Baby to Columbia, SC. I will be looking for volunteers and help with establishing the organization in this area.

Tyra Oliver Contact Information:



Email: masteringyourgoals@gmail.com

Phone: 803-238-5116

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/tyraoliver.3












JB’s Note: Tyra Oliver’s dedication to helping single parent households and mothers who have lost a child speaks loudly to her commitment to living her life on purpose. As a young woman, she has experienced daunting circumstances and is able to use the strength and wisdom that she has gained to pay it forward in the lives of others.

I hope that her story has inspired you to Live Your Legacy Now! If you would like to be featured or know of someone whose story serves as an inspiration for others to be the change we want to see in our world, please send me an email via my contact page.

Until the next time…

B Fearless…See Where It Gets You!

Love Jackie B



Popular posts from this blog

8 Reasons You Feel Emotionally Exhausted

If you neglect to recharge a battery, it dies. And if you run full speed ahead without stopping for water, you lose momentum to finish the race.
~ Oprah Winfrey ~

How often have you thought, “Where’s my get up and go? I’m tired all the time. But it’s not my body that’s tired. It’s like it’s me that’s tired inside my body.” So many of us are caught up in an energy rat race”, according to Mira Kirshenbaum, author of The Emotional Energy Factor: The Secrets High Energy People Use to Beat Emotional Fatigue. She says, “The demands of life, if not managed, will exhaust our emotional energy.” Emotional energy is defined by Kirshenbaum as “the preconditions for everything we care about. Everything worth doing that’s difficult gets lost without it. Marriages fail when we run out of the emotional energy to reach one more time across the divide of anger and silence. Dreams die when we lack the emotional energy to hang in there in the face of all the obstacles.” In my blog post, Simple Steps to Mana…

Veteran Day Quotes: 45 Inspirational Images and Sayings to Honor Our Veterans!

Managing Your Greatest Workplace Frustration

Whenever you’re in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.
~William James~
If I conducted a survey on your job and it consisted of this question: Out of the following two issues, which would you say is the greatest source of your workplace frustration: “people issues” or “job tasks”, which of the two issues do you believe would receive the most votes? For most of us, once we master the primary tasks related to our job, we are usually able to complete our position responsibilities with little or no help or supervision. But, when it comes down to dealing with rude customers, over-demanding bosses, and hard to get along with co-workers, most of us, would probably vote “people issues” as the greatest source of our workplace frustration. In this article, you will learn about key factors that can be used to better manage your workplace relationships and reduce the frustration that you…