Thursday, August 29, 2013

Living My Legacy Now! Interview: Author, Germaine Brisbane


I was honored to have the opportunity to interview Germaine Brisbane, the author of "How I Got Over".  Germaine was born in Charleston, South Carolina. After a series of bad events at the age of 18, he accepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior. 

He comes from being homeless, molested, and witnessing someone being killed. Now that Germaine has started growing in the knowledge of God's word, he has been able to transform his life. He is using his experiences to make a difference in the lives of others by "living his legacy now!"

His message of personal transformation and hope is one that will resonate in the hearts of many. I hope this interview blesses you as much as it blessed me.

Q1: What inspired you to write your book, "How I Got Over"?

Germaine: While I was tutoring at the Trident Literacy Center in Charleston, SC, a lady asked me about myself. After telling her my story, she encouraged me to write my story because so many people would be able to relate to it, thus it would help those who has had similar experiences.

Q2: Was there moments that you doubted or just stopped writing?

Germaine: I started writing this book 4 years ago, and then I stopped. I didn't want to make it about me. I wanted it to be a message about the power of God. There was a hesitancy on my part in the completion of the manuscript because I was sharing details of my private life, including information about my mother. Once I spoke to my mom, she encouraged me to write my truth. After which, I re-committed myself to completing the book in two months.

Q3: How did your upbringing impact your beliefs and relationship with God?

Germaine: I wasn't involved in the church growing up on a regular basis. I was involved in music and sports. It was not until I was sitting in a jail with little hope and lots of built up resentment and anger that I was inspired to pick up the bible in my cell. My life has not been the same.

Q4: How was accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior a defining moment in your life?

Germaine: When I was 12 years old, I tried to kill myself. My mom was hooked on drugs. I came home from spending a weekend at a friend's to find out we had been evicted. I was a shame to let my friend's mother know about our eviction. I went to different relative homes asking about my mother and if I could stay with them. No one had room. No one knew where my mom had gone after we were evicted. I became homeless. I couldn't find my mother and I refused to go live at my grandmother's because the person that molested me lived there. 

I felt that no one really cared for me. This way of thinking certainly influenced many of my actions during my teens. When I picked up that bible in jail, I could see myself in many of the parables and stories in the bible. Through my confession of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, my slate of offenses were cleared by the shedding of his blood on Calvary for my sins. From that moment, I have done my best to grow into being more Christ-like. That doesn't mean that I'm perfect, only that I have a love for Christ that inspires me to be more like him.

Q5: How have you been able to rise above your past?

Germaine: When I look back at my past, I realize how my thinking patterns influenced my reactions to what was happening in my life. Ever since I confessed Jesus as my Lord and Savior I have been renewing my mind in God's word. This is helping me to develop the mind of Christ and respond to life based on God's word.

When I first came to  Christ, people criticized me and I withdrew. I wanted to represent Christ but I didn't want to lose my friends. Eventually, I had to realize that if a person can't accept me for who I am, then they are not for me.

Q6: How do you envision the message in your book changing the lives of people, especially young men since you are so passionate about reaching them?

Germaine: The message in my book, "How I Got Over", shares the story of the trials that I experienced as a youth and the steps that I took to let go of the hurt and anger consuming my soul. By sharing the step by step process that I've taken to get my life on track, I am believing that it will resonate in the hearts of those who have had similar experiences. I believe that it will show them that no matter where they are in life, they can get back up again.

I want to reach out to young men especially because I've been where many of them are right now. I want them to know that there is hope in Christ and that he can transform their life. I want to uplift the hearts of as many people I can reach and share the good news of Christ.

Q7: What are some upcoming events you have scheduled?

Germaine: 2 pm on Saturday, August 31, 2013, I am having a book signing at The Diamond Kollection, 7201 D Parkland Road, Columbia, SC 29223.

It was a pleasure to interview Author, Germaine Brisbane. I pray God's blessings on this young man as he strives to live his legacy now. His book, "How I Got Over" is available in a Kindle and Paperback version on Amazon.com.

Germaine's Contact Info:
Germaine Brisbane
Author, Motivational Speaker, Servant
(803) 529-2455
info@germainebrisbane.com
www.germainebrisbane.com