Skip to main content

Meet Jackie: 25 Things I've Never Told You

I was reading through a recent post by Scott Dinsmore of Live Your Legend regarding his recent experiences during the World Domination event. He shared insights from numerous speakers who presented their message about how they are taking an idea and having positive impact on our world. I recommend that you read it here.

One of the individuals that he gave a shout out to is Amy Clover of Strong Inside Out. I clicked onto Amy's about page and found that she had accepted a challenge by Corbett Barr of Think Traffic to bloggers, encouraging us to share more of our personality with our community. His challenge can be found here.

So like Amy, I've decided to take on his challenge with this post. In the coming months, my blog, Grow Forward & Flourish will be undergoing a makeover. As I emmbark on the next chapter of creating a world class blog and online business site, I'm inspired to share 25 Things I've Never Shared With You Before...




  1. I'm the 8th child out of ten children. My mother, Willie Mae Capers was 30 years old and my father, William Mills was 63 years old when I was born.
  2. I'm 51 years old and I have a daughter, Dee who is 34 years old. Here we are when she first started her locs.
  3. My daughter and I are Sagittarius. She was born on December 5th, and I was born on December 3rd. 
  4. My daughter is an amazing natural hair stylist. She served as the inspiration for me when I did the big chop in August of 2012 and went natural. That's me with my small afro and one of Dee's latest photo after starting her locs.
  5. I was 15 years old when I started my first job as a bus girl in the restaurant of the Carolina Inn hotel in Columbia, SC. The hotel was later demolished and the site is now used by USC-Columbia.
  6. The Bee Gees was one of my favorite groups in high school. The DJ in the Buddha lounge next to the restaurant that I worked in use to play their music all the time. Besides, disco was hot in the mid-70's.
  7. In the 10th grade, I ran for the treasurer position on our Student Council. I lost the race by a large margin, however because I had the guts to run against a popular girl, I became known and made a lot of new friends.
  8. Martin Luther King's speech, "I Have a Dream" inspired me as a child to do work that would help other people move forward in life.
  9. My mom taught me how to ride public transit by myself at the age of ten so that I could attend a summer program at St.Martin's Catholic school in Columbia, SC.
  10. I was scared to drive. I didn't get my license until I was 26 years old.
  11. Four months after getting my license, I had a head on collision. It was my fault. My mind wasn't clear after having an argument with my husband. From that point, I never drive under the influence of anger.
  12. I love to dance. It reduces my stress and helps me to manage my weight. I would love to  learn how to step like the people in R Kelly's video, Step in the Name of Love.
  13. I've lived in Columbia, SC and Wilmington, NC. I loved living in Wilmington and I miss being so close to the ocean. I'm glad that I am back in Columbia because of my family, especially my neices and nephews. I love being an Auntie.
  14. I am a die hard USC Gamecock fan!
  15. I look forward to college football season.
  16. I love me some Payton Manning. So when he was traded to Denver, I became a fan of the team because I love Payton!
  17. Oprah Winfrey's willingness to share her light with the world has had a tremendous impact on my life.
  18. My faith in God and Jesus Christ has empowered me to comeback from all of the setbacks and adversities that I've experienced in life.
  19. My god daughter Jamya Sade Warren lives in Wilmington, NC. I wrote an article on More.com for a contest sharing the impact her birth had on my life after the death of my son, Blease. You can read it here.
  20. I am an avid reader. I check out 15 to 20 books every three months from our local library. I would have thought by now I would have won some prize, I guess I need to sign up for that.
  21. While studying communication at Cape Fear Community college, I hosted a taped radio show on Wilmington's local public radio station, WHQR.
  22. I love comedy. I'm a big fan of Lucille Ball, Sanford & Son,  Carol Burnett, The Three Stooges, The Big Bang Theory, Kevin Hart and Steve Harvey.
  23. I would love to meet and have lunch or dinner with Mayo Angelou, Nikki Giovanni and Oprah.
  24. I am thankful for having lived to see Barack Obama become President of the United States of America.
  25. I am passionate about creating a social outreach program that has a positive and lasting impact on the lives of single parents and their children.
So there you have it, 25 Things that I've Never Told You Before. What are some things that you would like to share with me about you. Leave your comments below.

Thank you sooooo much for being a part of this journey with me. I appreciate you reading, connecting and sharing. And I look forward to engaging you more so as I take this blog to the next level.

B Fearless

Jackie B 





Popular posts from this blog

8 Reasons You Feel Emotionally Exhausted

If you neglect to recharge a battery, it dies. And if you run full speed ahead without stopping for water, you lose momentum to finish the race.
~ Oprah Winfrey ~

How often have you thought, “Where’s my get up and go? I’m tired all the time. But it’s not my body that’s tired. It’s like it’s me that’s tired inside my body.” So many of us are caught up in an energy rat race”, according to Mira Kirshenbaum, author of The Emotional Energy Factor: The Secrets High Energy People Use to Beat Emotional Fatigue. She says, “The demands of life, if not managed, will exhaust our emotional energy.” Emotional energy is defined by Kirshenbaum as “the preconditions for everything we care about. Everything worth doing that’s difficult gets lost without it. Marriages fail when we run out of the emotional energy to reach one more time across the divide of anger and silence. Dreams die when we lack the emotional energy to hang in there in the face of all the obstacles.” In my blog post, Simple Steps to Mana…

Veteran Day Quotes: 45 Inspirational Images and Sayings to Honor Our Veterans!

Managing Your Greatest Workplace Frustration

Whenever you’re in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.
~William James~
If I conducted a survey on your job and it consisted of this question: Out of the following two issues, which would you say is the greatest source of your workplace frustration: “people issues” or “job tasks”, which of the two issues do you believe would receive the most votes? For most of us, once we master the primary tasks related to our job, we are usually able to complete our position responsibilities with little or no help or supervision. But, when it comes down to dealing with rude customers, over-demanding bosses, and hard to get along with co-workers, most of us, would probably vote “people issues” as the greatest source of our workplace frustration. In this article, you will learn about key factors that can be used to better manage your workplace relationships and reduce the frustration that you…