Friday, June 14, 2013

Overcoming Feelings of Disconnection




When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” 
~Viktor E. Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning~



Several years ago, I went through this period in which I could sense that something had shifted within me, but I couldn't put my finger on it. The circumstances and associations that once served me well was no longer "feeling" right to me. I kept telling myself that this "too will pass", but it didn't until I gained the awareness of what it meant to live consciously.



Up to this point, my entire identity was tied to being a doer, a hard worker, the go-to person in the companies in which I worked. I was so caught up with my identity of "doing" that I never really learned the importance of just "being". It was not until I began to experience an unrest in my soul which effected my peace of mind that I felt an urgency to determine the cause of why I was "feeling" out of sorts. 



When we live 24/7 on "automatic pilot" as "doers only" instead of living consciously and courageously connected to life with our spirit, soul and body, we tend to become emotionally disconnected from that in our lives that allows us to "be"  fully present so that we can enjoy the goodness that is happening in our lives



Making the Connection


When we detach ourselves from the insights gained from our sensory impressions, we diminish our passion. We lose our sense of meaning for our lives. The actions we take to complete our daily tasks becomes robotic. They are a means to an end, nothing more, nothing less. It is difficult for us to sustain long-term happiness when we are not open to "seeing" or "feeling" the diverse meanings that come with each of our life experiences.

To get to the root of my disconnection, I had an intuitive hunch to go back to my basics. Before my career, before my marriage, before my children, I had learned some valuable life lessons and developed some personal practices that enabled me to tune in to my inner wisdom.

  • I prayed through out the day that my life would make a difference in our world.
  • I embraced faith from the perspective of a child, believing that what I had need of would be provided to me.
  • I paid attention to those activities that made me feel stronger from within and made me happier and sought to do more of them.
  • I exercised regularly realizing that when I felt physically stronger this transferred into other areas of my life.
  • I engaged in new activities because I love to learn and meet new people.
  • I stopped taking part in activities that didn't create a sense of meaning that was relevant to what was happening in my life at the time.
  • I ended relationships with people who I felt didn't have my best interest in mind.
  • I pursued opportunities in which I could serve more people which helped me to make more of a difference and increased my sense of fulfillment and happiness in life.

I discovered during this period in which I felt disconnected that once I open myself up to life, I was able to overcome these feelings by simply becoming conscious of the goodness that was happening in my life and choosing to take action to spread the goodness that I could do in the lives of others.


You Can Overcome Feelings of Disconnection


If you or someone that you know is feeling out of sorts, one of the most courageous actions that you can take is to accept by faith that you are right where you should be to learn and grow into the person that you were divinely design to be in the first place. 



You can learn how to let go of your fear and walk in the power of love.


Despite the common notion, you are not built to live your life as if you are a robot, completing task after task, without a sense of passion or purpose that resonates within your soul. You are a living soul that is divinely built to flourish in all aspects of your life.


The greater your capacity to connect whatever it is that you do, on a daily basis, with a personal meaning that matters to you, the greater your chance of manifesting a life that is defined by a sense of purpose, passion and courage.



So, when you are feeling out of sorts, tune in to your inner wisdom. Become conscious of the activities and people that gives your life meaning and adds to your happiness. Engage them more often. Limit your time with those activities and people who have the opposite effect.

Get involved with a cause that means a lot to you. This helps you to focus on helping others and takes your mind off of your stuff. The investment of your care and concern for another soul compounds over time. One life after another, the dividends from your efforts help to move individuals, families, and communities forward. 


Personally, I don't know of no other action than that of serving others with your best that produces the powerful feeling that comes from "knowing" that your efforts made a positive difference in the life of another person. 

Tune-out the noise of the world, so that you can tune-in the still small voice of Spirit dwelling within you. If you are open and willing to navigate your steps forward under the influence of your ING then you will begin to discover that their is so much more living, loving and learning that can give your life hope, meaning and passion. Accept who you have been, who you are now and who you are becoming. Life becomes more of an adventure when embraced from this perspective.

When you feel disconnected, what are some practices that you have used to restore your sense of connection? Share your insights in the comment section below.

Thank you for reading, connecting and sharing. Share the love with your social networks.

Grow Forward & Flourish

Jackie B