4 Ways to Transcend Your Ego On the Path to Self-Realization



Once we see that who we are is not what we think, do or feel, we discover freedom that has always been here.
~Alyssa Nobriaga~


 
In his book, The Power of Intention Wayne Dyer writes, “Everything in the universe has intention built into it. An apple blossom in the spring time appears to be a pretty little flower, yet it has intent built into it and will manifest in the summer as an apple. The apple never turns into an orange. Nature simply progresses in harmony from the field of intention”. Dyer goes on to say, “Animals, vegetables and minerals are always connected to their divine source. They don’t question their intention”.

Too often we allow our ego to define who we are and what we are capable of being, doing and having. When we allow our ego to have dominant control of our personal identity we deactivate the power of the divine within us and lose connection to our Creator’s power. In order for each of us to live authentic to our divine purpose we must remain connected to God’s highest vibrational energy: love.
Just Yesterday…
I certainly know the challenges of this task. Just yesterday, I found myself judging someone in my family who seems to always have the same problem over and over and I questioned one of my sisters as to why she continues to allow this person to continue to dump her problems on her.
Soon after I had this thought, the voice of my spirit rose up within me challenging me to remember the “grace of God” that has been shown towards me when I repeated mistakes or made wrong decisions. I released my judgment of the situation when I simply accepted that it is not my place  to tell “anyone” how they should be led to help another.
Despite my beliefs about enabling people’s weaknesses, I have to trust in the power of the divine working within my sister and others. This awareness is not always easy to maintain, but it is doable when we activate the power of intention.
How the Ego Disconnects You from Spirit
To realign your life with Spirit, it is first necessary to acknowledge how your ego’s definition of who you are and what you’re capable of doing and having creates roadblocks to the God’s power. Dyer writes, “Ego is made of six primary ingredients that account or how we experience ourselves disconnected [from our Divine source]”. He identifies the six disempowering beliefs of the ego as:
1.    I am what I have. My possessions define me.
2.    I am what I do. My achievements define me.
3.    I am what others think of me. My reputation defines me.
4.    I am separate from everyone. My body defines me as alone.
5.    I am separate from all that is missing in my life. My life space is disconnected from my desires.
6.    I am separate from God. My life depends on God’s assessment of my worthiness.
Dyer argues, “No matter how hard you try, intention can’t be accessed through ego, so take time to recognize and readjust any or all of these six beliefs. When the supremacy of ego is weakened in your life, you can seek intention and maximize your potential”.
Question: Who Are You Really?
Who are you? When I began to ponder this question in relation to Dyer’s argument that I should recognize and readjust any beliefs that I have that are defined by my ego, I was initially stooped. Most of you know that I am a Christian and believe wholeheartedly that the meditating on Scriptures has the power to transform our thinking and way of being. I believe that we are spiritual beings having a human experience which can only be expressed on the earth through a physical body.
Yet, in our everyday lives our personal identity is defined by what we believe, what we have, what we do, who we know and how others perceive us. Our connection to the physical world is grounded in these beliefs. Initially, I was unable to define the question, Who Are You?, without including some if not all of these “ego” centric beliefs.
I slept on this question and ruminated over my answers for a few days before I was ready to complete this post. I came to this perspective, I can define myself by what I do, and what I have, the influence I have in the lives of others AND, I can define myself as a spirit being whose greatest task on the earth is to manifest the power of Spirit’s love for me and others through the works that define my faith in God. I don’t have to accept an either/or perspective as to how I define myself. I came to the conclusion that I can define myself from an all-inclusive perspective which includes by spiritual and physical self. You have the power to do the same.
Make No Mistake About It…
I am fully aware of how my “ego” centric beliefs can wreak havoc in my life. It has been ego lead thoughts and beliefs that nurtured the pride that wouldn’t apologize when I knew I was wrong. It is ego lead thoughts and beliefs that nurture snap judgments of others without seeking first to fully understand situations. It is ego lead thoughts and beliefs that had me thinking that I could rest on my laurels and bask in past successes. It is ego lead thoughts and beliefs that result in “my way” or “the highway” form of thinking.
We are all susceptible to this way of thinking. I never said that this journey to remain connected to our Creator’s power would be easy. We are going to be stretched out of the constraints of our ego, its limiting assumptions and “boxed” beliefs about ourselves, other people and what’s possible in our lives.
Our spiritual journey of reconnecting to our divine intention will be marked by conscious raising experiences that create subtle shifts over time in the way we think, feel and respond to life. As we experience these shifts, it is up to each of us to nurture and maintain an intimate connection with God through Jesus so that we remain connected to our divine power source.
What You Can Do Next…
Dyer spotlights the work of Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi. Shri taught a simple method through which all people can tap into their innate spiritual power. The 4-step method is summarized as follows:
·        You cannot know the meaning of your life until you are connected to the power that created you.
·        You are not this body, you are not this mind you are the spirit…this is the greatest truth.
·        You have to know your Spirit… for without knowing your Spirit, you cannot know the truth.
·        Meditation is the only way you can grow [awareness]. There is no other way out. Because when you meditate, you are in silence. You are in thoughtless awareness. Then the growth of awareness takes place.

Last Words…
Connecting to the divine source from which you and I were created increases our awareness of that power dwelling within us. As we commune with Spirit’s power in an intimate and personal manner, the expansion of our awareness expands and we begin to develop a God-consciousness.
A God-consciousness increases our capacity to be vehicles in which the highest form of God’s energy: love can be consistently expressed in our world.
A personal commitment to reconnect with and maintain a strong and vibrant connection to God reduces your dependency on defining yourself solely based on “ego” centric beliefs. By taking an active role in your spirit’s connection to its Creator, you develop the mind of Christ and become empowered to manifest great works in the earth.
Show some love, share this post with your network.

Popular Posts