9 Steps to Awakening Your Greatness
There are countless ways of attaining greatness, but any road to reaching one’s maximum potential must be built on bedrock of respect for the individual, a commitment to excellence, and a rejection of mediocrity.
Ever since my childhood, I have always admired individuals who have been able to overcome daunting odds to become successful in life. Because of their diverse backgrounds, humble beginning s, and daunting circumstances these stories has served as a tool that mentors me and provide me with evidence that there is nothing impossible with faith in God and faith in myself. My parents modeled a bulldog tenacity and relentless work ethic so it was easy for me to understand the power of working hard and smart towards creating better in life. Experiencing their deaths in my teens showed me how unpredictable life can be and why it was so important for me to engage life with gratitude, passion, love and fearlessness if I expected to live out my potential. This has certainly not always been easy, however I am sure of this, had I not nurtured these traits over time I would not have been able to press through my life's difficulties and experience measures of success that would have certainly made my parents proud. Today, as my life’s purpose continue to evolve, it is important to its legacy that I empower as many people as I can to believe in their power to activate and manifest the seeds of greatness that dwells within them; I believe it to be God’s will and purpose for every living soul.You can defy the odds against you. Your circumstances do not have the power to define you unless you choose to allow them to. You have the God-given authority to define who you are and the person you become. You are much smarter and stronger than you give yourself credit. You can be the hero of your personal story. To be the hero of your life’s story, you will have to do the work necessary to nurture healthy and empowering spiritual, mental and emotional states. Your consistency to do so greatly impacts your effectiveness to transform your external circumstances. Subscribing to and reading this blog on a regular basis and others like it will help you in your efforts to realizing your potential.
State of Greatness
The State of Greatness
The keys to awakening your seeds of greatness begin with your spiritual, mental and emotional states, not your physical states. This is good news because each one of us can learn to nurture personal change initiatives that can be practiced on purpose. We can engage our talent, knowledge and skills to bless our lives and the lives of others. The bad news is that we encounter a barrage of social influences on an everyday basis that preach that we’re not responsible for our lives, that we are our circumstances and that there is little we can do to change ourselves or our circumstances. That is a crock of lies.
You are the only one that can take the necessary actions to awaken your greatness. No one and nothing can do it for you. One of the most important lessons I've learned from reading personal stories about individuals who defied odds is this, once they made up their mind as to what they were going to do, they paid little or no attention to the limitations others attempted to impose upon them or their circumstances. Each person developed a laser-like focus which concentrated their attention and energies on the objective and goals they wanted to achieve. It is important for you to recognize this important fact: no one other than you can measure the depth of commitment and fire in your soul to create and sustain the life, happiness and success possible for you. And it is this fact that leaves people wondering how someone from certain backgrounds, and those with limiting resources are able to create and sustain success in life with so much against them.
It’s a fact that there are millions of people who are dealing with pain and sorrow. One only have to turn on the news and hear about the loss experienced by individuals from Super Storm Sandy or more recently the killings in Newtown Connecticut to recognize the pain and sorrow that is present in our world. We can also look at the outpouring of support, prayers and love given by others to the individuals who suffered loss in the wake of these and other national tragedies that dominated the media’s attention. Life is all about perspective. When we embrace it with a mind and heart of hope, even in the face of horrendous tragedies and seeming impossible odds, we are able to get in agreement with God’s word that greater is He that lives in us then He that lives in the world(1 John 4:4 NIV).
Be All that You Can Be
In his book, Start Where You Are: Life Lessons in Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be by Chris Gardner, builds on his personal story highlighted in his book, The Pursuit of Happyness by sharing with readers many of the personal practices that empowered him to go from being homeless, to building a successful career with Dean Witter Reynolds before becoming the owner and CEO of his multi-million business, Gardner Rich LLC with offices in New York, Chicago and San Francisco. Gardner never knew his father, and lived with his beloved mother, Bettye Jean Triplett when not in foster homes. Gardner has acknowledged his gratitude for his mother providing him with a strong spiritual foundation and belief that in spite of where he came from, he could chart another path and attain whatever goals he set for himself.
The following nine personal traits are outlined in Gardner’s book, Start Where You Are: Life Lessons in Getting from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be. They provide you with clues as to how you can awaken the seeds of greatness dwelling within you so that you can take workable actions to become the person you were destined to be, regardless of the circumstances that you face at this moment.
1. Think Like an Entrepreneur: You do not have to be an entrepreneur to think like one. Employees who take ownership of their professional success understand the importance of contributing what is deemed most relevant to the success of a business. They make it their business to do so, day in and day out, without having a need to be told to do so. They also realize that their professional reputation is their personal brand and the importance of maintaining an ethical and trustworthy reputation.
2. Move Mountains: In addition to mountain moving faith, the power of focus enables you to develop and execute successful strategies to achieve your professional and personal goals and objectives. Attention is energy. The greater its intensity, the greater your capacity to maintain the laser-like focus necessary to dismiss distractions that would delay or prevent your success.
3. Unify Your Efforts: Scattered efforts produce scattered results. When you are able to focus on purpose and concentrate your energies towards that which is deemed priorities related to your goals and objectives, you will increase your effectiveness and level of success.
4. The Calvary Ain’t Coming: You have to take responsibility for the success you want in life. See challenges as opportunities to discover how capable you are. Failure is not permanent. It serves only as feedback which is always useful in strategizing a campaign to achieve specific goals. People can and will support and assist you but at the end of the day, your life is your responsibility. Blaming your past, your circumstances, your parents, your family, your heart breaks for abdicating the responsibility of your life will not empower you to create and sustain the happiness and success you want in life. If it’s to be, it’s up to your faith in God and your willingness to do what it takes to make it happen. Period. Assuming that anyone wants to take on the full time job of making sure your needs are met and that you are happy and successful is foolishness and borders on self-deception. Gardner writes, “Victory against the odds had everything to do with ending the reliance on a calvary coming to rescue him.”
5. Identify Your Personal B.S.: Gardner asserts that we have to call ourselves on our own BS. He says, “We give too much credence to chance and not enough to choice. The millions of people who defy statistics and succeed in life not in spite of the odds but because of them.”
6. With Action Comes Traction: Gardner writes, “Find whatever it is within your current situation you can control and start there. Whenever you own your choices, good or bad you empower yourself. The habits of thinking take longer to change then behavior. The key is to start and allow the initiation of action to create momentum- this is not an opinion, it’s the law of physics.”
7. Baby Steps Count, too!: Gardner says, “Remind yourself- no matter how slow your progress baby steps count. What matter is that you are headed in the right direction. Sense of purpose keeps you moving forward and helps guide you when choosing which step to take next.”
8. Maintain Oceanic Persistence: Gardner points out, “the ocean is relentless, always moving with the power and purpose nature has given it – the tide inching forward with every wave. The dynamics of our situation changes once we become purposeful and directed.”
9. Face Your Fears: Gardner writes, “Fear is the most common obstacle that stands in our way or holds us back from our highest self and aspirations. No one, except us can make the fear we feel disintegrate. We have to take it upon ourselves to develop the skills necessary to manager our fears in a way that works personally for us. The means to doing so is unique as our DNA.”
I end this post with this poem:
Your Dimension of Greatness
No one can know the potential,Of a life that is committed to win;
With courage- the challenge it faces,
To achieve great success in the end!
So, explore the Dimension of Greatness,
And believe that the world CAN be won;
By a mind that is fully committed,
KNOWING that task can be done!
Your world has no place for the skeptic,
No room for the DOUBTER to stand;
To weaken your firm resolution
That you CAN EXCEL in this land!
We must have VISION to SEE our potential,
And FAITH TO BELIEVE that we can;
Then COURAGE TO ACT with conviction,
To become what GOD MEANT us to be!
So, possess the strength and the courage
To conquer WHATEVER you choose;
It’s the person WHO NEVER GETS STARTED
That is FOREVER doomed to loose.
It’s Your Move ~ Aspire Higher
References: Your Dimensions of Greatness by Angel Valdez found on www.poemhunter.com.