Skip to main content

Give Your Mind Somewhere Good to Go


The decision to be happy is actually the decision to stop being unhappy.

~Barry Neil Kaufman~

When was the last time you gave some thought to your level of happiness? Is it something that you think about often, or is it a fleeting thought as you continue to run on the hamster wheel of life? Do you believe that you can experience a greater sense of happiness, or are you at a point where you feel that your happiness is at a set point in life? Are you like many people searching for their happiness in external factors, when the truth is happiness is all in your head?
 

 
That’s right. It’s all in your head. Stephan M. Pollan and Mark Levine authors of It’s All in Your Head: Thinking Your Way to Happiness writes, “You’ve already got everything you need to be happy. [T]he phrase “it’s all in your head” is intended as a condescending comment: that whatever it is you’re feeling isn’t real, that it’s a figment of your imagination.” They say, “The key to a fulfilled joyous life…comes not from material, or external factors, but from psychological, or internal factors.” “Happiness” he authors write, “is a mental, not a physical state.”


Choosing to Be Happy
Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections of life.
~Unknown~
 

  
Many people measure their happiness by external factors. I have certainly been guilty of allowing “what I have in material possessions and what I achieved in my career” define my level of happiness in life. Then I as I begin to move in the direction of becoming a writer, I realized that the same perks that use to bring me a sense of satisfaction and happiness wasn’t available to me. I had to make a shift in my thinking if I didn’t want to spend energies I could use towards my writing, dwelling in a state of unhappiness. So, I certainly get the thesis of this book, because I have lived it.  Once I began to transform my thinking and the definition I held of what would add to my happiness, I have been able to remain a consistent level of happiness even during one of the most challenging seasons in my life.

I learned that as long as I allowed my happiness to be based on external factors, when those factors changed, i.e. loss of job, relocating to a new city, having to build new relationships, starting a new job, building my writing business, I needed to have a core belief about happiness that wouldn’t change because of circumstances. When I allowed my happiness to be controlled by forces outside of myself, I was setting myself up to be unhappy. Now that I have transformed my way of thinking about happiness, I feel that I am in control of the level of happiness that I experience in life.

This doesn’t mean that I don’t have not-so good days, I’m human. But this change in my thinking about happiness has actually helped me to better manage the frustrations in my everyday life. I prefer to be in a positive and upbeat mood, so I am more decisive in the handling of circumstances that I can control. And I’m more likely to pray about and release any attachment to that which I have no control.
 


In my research on happiness, I came across the following quotes by M.J. Ryan author of the Happiness Makeover. They will help "give your mind somewhere good to go."

  1. Focusing on what is wrong doesn’t help us move toward anything, nor does it create the uprush of positive emotions that we experience as happiness. Focusing on what’s wrong demoralizes de-energies and depresses.
  2. Focusing on what’s right is so powerful an agent for positive change. Our life moves in the direction of our most dominant thoughts and beliefs, the more positive our thoughts and beliefs the more positive our lives tend to be.
  3. The energy of noticing what’s right creates excitement to move forward, like plants turning toward the light.
  4. Happiness is when everything we do feeds into sharing ourselves with others, in ways that enrich our life and their life.
  5. Research into happy people reveals that a key component of happiness is the ability to identify our true needs and then make it a priority to pursue them.

It is my hope that these quotes nurture the seeds of happiness dwelling within you desiring to take root in your heart so that they bear fruit of a greater sense of happiness in your life. Start your own happiness project. Take the time out today to think about how you can begin to cultivate a core foundation of happiness that is controlled by you and not your circumstances. I promise you, you’ll experience a greater level of happiness when it is dependent on what you can control.


 It’s Your Move ~ Aspire Higher

Popular posts from this blog

8 Reasons You Feel Emotionally Exhausted

If you neglect to recharge a battery, it dies. And if you run full speed ahead without stopping for water, you lose momentum to finish the race.
~ Oprah Winfrey ~

How often have you thought, “Where’s my get up and go? I’m tired all the time. But it’s not my body that’s tired. It’s like it’s me that’s tired inside my body.” So many of us are caught up in an energy rat race”, according to Mira Kirshenbaum, author of The Emotional Energy Factor: The Secrets High Energy People Use to Beat Emotional Fatigue. She says, “The demands of life, if not managed, will exhaust our emotional energy.” Emotional energy is defined by Kirshenbaum as “the preconditions for everything we care about. Everything worth doing that’s difficult gets lost without it. Marriages fail when we run out of the emotional energy to reach one more time across the divide of anger and silence. Dreams die when we lack the emotional energy to hang in there in the face of all the obstacles.” In my blog post, Simple Steps to Mana…

Veteran Day Quotes: 45 Inspirational Images and Sayings to Honor Our Veterans!

Managing Your Greatest Workplace Frustration

Whenever you’re in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.
~William James~
If I conducted a survey on your job and it consisted of this question: Out of the following two issues, which would you say is the greatest source of your workplace frustration: “people issues” or “job tasks”, which of the two issues do you believe would receive the most votes? For most of us, once we master the primary tasks related to our job, we are usually able to complete our position responsibilities with little or no help or supervision. But, when it comes down to dealing with rude customers, over-demanding bosses, and hard to get along with co-workers, most of us, would probably vote “people issues” as the greatest source of our workplace frustration. In this article, you will learn about key factors that can be used to better manage your workplace relationships and reduce the frustration that you…