Friday, September 28, 2012

Evidence Why You Should Challenge Limitations


“Your life is only limited by how far your thoughts and actions will take you”.

~Jackie Capers-Brown~


 

If you are questioning if you can do something that sparks passion within your heart and you believe or have a notion that you can make it happen, consider the following evidence of quotes and why it is important to challenge self-imposed limitations or limitations imposed upon you by others.

“I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.”

~Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943~

 

“There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.”

~Ken Olson, President, Chairman and Founder of Digital Equipment Corporation, 1977~

 

I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won’t last out the year.”

~Editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957~

 

“This telephone has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us.”

~Western Union, internal memo, 1876~

 

A cookie star is a bad idea. Besides, the market research reports say America like crispy cookies, not soft and chewy cookies like you make.”

~Response to Debbie Field’s idea of starting Mrs. Field’s Cookies~

 

“We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.”

~Decca Recording Company, rejecting the Beatles, 1962~

 

“I’m just glad it’ll be Clark Gable who’s falling on his face and not Gary Cooper.”

~Gary Cooper on his decision not to take the leading role in Gone With the Wind~

 

“So we went to Atari and said, “Hey, we’ve got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or, we’ll give it to you. We just want to do it with you. Pay our salary and we’ll come work for you.” And they said, “No”. So we went to Hewlett-Packard, who said, “Hey, we don’t need you. You haven’t got through college yet.”
~Steve Jobs, Founder of Apple Computer, on attempts to get Atari and HP interested in his and Steve Wozniak’s personal computer~


“The concept is interesting and well-informed but in order to earn better than a “C”, the idea must be feasible.

~A Yale University management professor in response to Fred Smith’s paper proposing reliable overnight delivery service (Smith went on to found Federal Express)

 

 

You Can Be and Do So Much More

 

The potential to accomplish the impossible is so real, that it is worth all

of our efforts to continually strive to find all the keys to make consistently

tapping into this potential possible.

~Richard W. James, author of Personal Leadership~

 


There is no guarantee that everything that we pursue is going to work out as we hoped or planned. We can take small steps that limit our risk of venturing into the unknown to determine if we can give birth to an idea. An “all-or-nothing” attitude towards any “new” idea sucks up our energy when we need as much energy that we can muster to create momentum and progress with a “new” idea. You can consider a collaborative relationship with someone who has knowledge and talents that you need, but do not possess. You don’t have to go at it alone. Keep your options open and maintain a flexible attitude towards the process. It increases your ability to pursue your ideas with greater success.

 
Don’t Believe Everything Someone Says About What’s Doable

 
When I first came across these quotes several years ago, I was at the point in which I was about to give up on my desire to be a paid freelance writer, author and speaker. I had reached out to customers of the businesses that I was managing at the time, hoping to get some professional feedback as to what they thought would be my next steps. Sadly, all of these professionals suggested that I shouldn’t give up my corporate gig for following my dreams. Nor did they support the idea of me starting my own business. They “saw” me as a lifetime corporate girl. They had no clue that my Dad had instilled in me a belief in elementary school that I would someday be a business owner. This belief was a part of my DNA. I couldn’t shake it despite the numerous business ideas that I made no effort to pursue.

 It wasn’t until I became a member of Toastmasters that I came in contact with a group of individuals who “saw” me from a different perspective. Members of my Lamplighters club in Wilmington, NC were able to provide me with constructive feedback as to the next steps I needed to take to move towards the path which inspires my passion, sense of purpose and allows me to utilize my strengths. Because of this experience, I am passionate about helping others challenge self-imposed limitations and the limitations imposed upon them by others.

 What great things would you attempt if you knew that you would succeed? How much more would you do if you began to see your challenges as opportunities for you to learn more and grow your potential? I would love to hear about them. Share your comments below.

 
It’s Your Move ~Aspire Higher