Skip to main content

Benefits of Cultivating Positive Belief Habits

What we believe can literally shape how we experience life. I was seven years old when Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated on April 4, 1968. I can still recall the anger, the shock and disbelief that engulfed members of my family, my neighbors, the black community, our nation and the world as a result of this tragedy. For weeks after his death, WIS-Radio, a local station in Columbia, SC played snippets of Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech. Each time I listened to a clip of his speech, my seven-year old self became more and more convinced that Dr. King was speaking directly to me. Call it naiveté’, if you will, but my childlike faith believed this at the core of my being. Hearing portions of Dr. King’s speech, over and over began to paint images in my mind of a better America. Living in the heart of Dixie where “blacks only” and “whites only” signs in public spaces was the status quo his words inspired me with hope. My newfound hope in a better America encouraged me to believe that God intended for me to help make a difference in the lives of others. I became convinced of this in my mind and heart. I believe it to be my responsibility to express my belief through my actions. I have learned from my life expriences that by cultivating positve belief habits, my life has benefited in these ways:
  1. Positive thinking habits fosters a strong sense of self-efficacy which develops and nurtures a “can-do-attitude” towards our life experiences.
  2. Positive thinking habits helps us to gain a proper perspective on the challenges we face.
  3. Positive thinking habits arouses a desire within us to seek out purposeful activities in which we can utilize our knowledge, skills and strengths towards the betterment of others.


Throughout history, individuals from diverse backgrounds have used parables, speeches and stories to
 inspire hope in the hearts of others so that they would take constructive action that led to the
 betterment of themselves and our world. From Jesus, Martin Luther King Jr. to Oprah Winfrey,
 individuals who have cultivated a positive belief system about themselves and life recognize it is our
beliefs that define how we see ourselves and abilities and what we do or do not do as a result of this
 identity.  As Tony Robbins states, “Beliefs have the power to create and the power to destroy.
Human beings have the awesome ability to take any experience of their lives and create a meaning
that disempowers them or one that can literally save their lives.” It matters what you believe.


It's Your Move ~ Aspire Higher

Popular posts from this blog

8 Reasons You Feel Emotionally Exhausted

If you neglect to recharge a battery, it dies. And if you run full speed ahead without stopping for water, you lose momentum to finish the race.
~ Oprah Winfrey ~

How often have you thought, “Where’s my get up and go? I’m tired all the time. But it’s not my body that’s tired. It’s like it’s me that’s tired inside my body.” So many of us are caught up in an energy rat race”, according to Mira Kirshenbaum, author of The Emotional Energy Factor: The Secrets High Energy People Use to Beat Emotional Fatigue. She says, “The demands of life, if not managed, will exhaust our emotional energy.” Emotional energy is defined by Kirshenbaum as “the preconditions for everything we care about. Everything worth doing that’s difficult gets lost without it. Marriages fail when we run out of the emotional energy to reach one more time across the divide of anger and silence. Dreams die when we lack the emotional energy to hang in there in the face of all the obstacles.” In my blog post, Simple Steps to Mana…

Veteran Day Quotes: 45 Inspirational Images and Sayings to Honor Our Veterans!

Managing Your Greatest Workplace Frustration

Whenever you’re in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.
~William James~
If I conducted a survey on your job and it consisted of this question: Out of the following two issues, which would you say is the greatest source of your workplace frustration: “people issues” or “job tasks”, which of the two issues do you believe would receive the most votes? For most of us, once we master the primary tasks related to our job, we are usually able to complete our position responsibilities with little or no help or supervision. But, when it comes down to dealing with rude customers, over-demanding bosses, and hard to get along with co-workers, most of us, would probably vote “people issues” as the greatest source of our workplace frustration. In this article, you will learn about key factors that can be used to better manage your workplace relationships and reduce the frustration that you…