Skip to main content

Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway!

     I was afraid of heights and afraid of flying on a plane.  The two go hand and hand, so, why didn't my fears stop me in 1990 from boarding an American Airline plane, my first flight in the air, to Raleigh, NC  as a member of the Courtyard by Marriott Mid-Atlantic opening hotel task team?  How was I able to wave  good-bye to my two small children as I prepared to board a plane that would take me to my next professional growth opportunity?  On the wings of prayer, faith  and my ability to effectively manage my fear because I had a compelling "why" . 

     If I had allowed my feelings of fear to dictate my actions, I would not have been able to seize this professional growth opportunity.  After this assignment, I was promoted into my next management position with the Courtyard division and elected to become a member of the division's Diversity Council.  The exposure that I received from taking advantage of this opportunity was a tremendous boost to my spiritual and professional growth.



     When I consider some of the hard decisions I've made since my first flight on an airplane, I can connect the dots to how this experience served to encourage steps of faith I've taken in various aspects of my life to experience better in my lfie.  I decided that I would rather face my fears then to live my life afraid. My willingness to face my fear of flying each time I board a plane has provided me with life experiences that are priceless.  Facing my fear allowed me to enlarge my level of joy as I explored various cities as a tourist.  Traveling enlarges your view of the world and exposes you to new experiences that often enlarges what you think is possible in life.

     What would you pursue if you weren't afraid?  It's okay to feel fear.  It is not okay to allow a fear to dominant your life to the point that it immobilizes and prevents you from taking the necessary action to achieve your goals and aspirations.  I know from my experiences of facing my fear of driving, to flying in an airplane to speaking in public, it is often easier said than done to conqueor a fear.  But it can be done. I'm living proof.

     Who says that you can not be all that you believe you can be? Stop listening to the opinions of those who haven't attempted to do what you want to do. Find someone who is doing what you want and get their advice as to "how you can" do what you believe is meant for you to do. Walk by FAITH and not by sight. All that is possible with your life can only be created when you approach life from a place of courage. If the way you do things now does not work try another way. Keep trying until you find the way that works. Don't change your desired end, adapt the means it takes to achieve your goal.Don't let people or circumstances discourage you from pursuing your dreams. Be careful of whose report that you believe, allow God's word to have the final say as to what is possible in your life! Remain steadfast in your FAITH to see the manifestation of your VICTORY!

It's Your Move~Aspire Higher

Popular posts from this blog

8 Reasons You Feel Emotionally Exhausted

If you neglect to recharge a battery, it dies. And if you run full speed ahead without stopping for water, you lose momentum to finish the race.
~ Oprah Winfrey ~

How often have you thought, “Where’s my get up and go? I’m tired all the time. But it’s not my body that’s tired. It’s like it’s me that’s tired inside my body.” So many of us are caught up in an energy rat race”, according to Mira Kirshenbaum, author of The Emotional Energy Factor: The Secrets High Energy People Use to Beat Emotional Fatigue. She says, “The demands of life, if not managed, will exhaust our emotional energy.” Emotional energy is defined by Kirshenbaum as “the preconditions for everything we care about. Everything worth doing that’s difficult gets lost without it. Marriages fail when we run out of the emotional energy to reach one more time across the divide of anger and silence. Dreams die when we lack the emotional energy to hang in there in the face of all the obstacles.” In my blog post, Simple Steps to Mana…

Veteran Day Quotes: 45 Inspirational Images and Sayings to Honor Our Veterans!

Managing Your Greatest Workplace Frustration

Whenever you’re in conflict with someone, there is one factor that can make the difference between damaging your relationship and deepening it. That factor is attitude.
~William James~
If I conducted a survey on your job and it consisted of this question: Out of the following two issues, which would you say is the greatest source of your workplace frustration: “people issues” or “job tasks”, which of the two issues do you believe would receive the most votes? For most of us, once we master the primary tasks related to our job, we are usually able to complete our position responsibilities with little or no help or supervision. But, when it comes down to dealing with rude customers, over-demanding bosses, and hard to get along with co-workers, most of us, would probably vote “people issues” as the greatest source of our workplace frustration. In this article, you will learn about key factors that can be used to better manage your workplace relationships and reduce the frustration that you…