Monday, January 4, 2010

Success is Intentional

      NO ONE SUCCEEDS BY ACCIDENT. You wouldn't get on an exercise regime-lose 30 lbs and then wonder how you did it!  No one graduates from college after 4 years and then wonder how did I do that?  Every worthwhile goal that you desire to achieve has to be with intention.  Webster dictionary defines intention as " an act or instance of determining mentally upon some action or result".  To be determined regarding any goal requires a made up mind.  Have you made up your mind that you will create the success that you desire towards your goals?  A made up mind requires a decison, according to Tony Robbins, self-help expert " a real decision is measured by the fact that you've taken a new action.  If there's no action, you haven't truly decided".

     In 1985, I made a decision that I would do whatever it took to get my life back on track after a separation from my live-in boyfriend, which resulted in my children and I living with family.  In order for me to afford a place of our own I needed a full-time job.  I took a job with the Columbia Marriott hotel as a housekeeper. Shortly after I was hired, I became aware of the advancement opportunities within the company at the time.  I knew that I could do more, I had been a supervisor at my last job. So instead of allowing myself to get discouraged in the position that I was hired for I began to take advantage of service opportunities with guests that would get the attention of hotel executives.  By going the extra mile with hotel guests, putting ice in buckets of long term guests, leaving extra towels and ammenties without being asked in rooms with multiple guests and leaving a note of appreciation in each of my guest room, my guest began to leave comment cards about my service.  These comment cards brought me exposure as I began to create raving fans.  Shortly before the end of my ninety day probation period I was promoted into an administrative supervisor position in the housekeeping department.
    
     In my new postion, I was trained in the administrative duties of managing a housekeeping departement.  My managers encouraged me to participate in in-house training for employees.  This increased my exposure within the hotel.  As I continued to contribute in ways that assisted my managers with achieving their goals for the department, I began to get a new vision for myself.  I began to believe that I could become a Marriott manager.  My housekeeping manager gave me a poster which I have to this day which reads,"Your dreams are only limited by how far your thoughts and actions will take you", this poster became my daily affirmation.  A transfer to Marriott's Courtyard division four years later became the move that I had to take to achieve my goal of becoming a Marriott manager.

     At the Columbia Courtyard, under the dynamic leadership of Dee Harrington, I began to develop a bigger vision.  I began to believe that I could become a Marriott GM.  Through her guidance and the guidance of GM's that came after she left the company I continued to develop the skills and acquire the knowledge necessary to attain my goal.  On February 9, 1995 I was promoted as a GM with Marriott's Fairfield Inn hotel division.

     The achievement of these goals did not come without sacrifice or challenges.  My ability to make decisions and remain focus on my intended goals as I worked my way up within the management ranks of Marriott was key to the accomplishment of  my desired outcome.  I would not have achieved these goals had I not made the necessary decisions and supported them with relevant and effective actions backed by unwavering faith.

     To cultivate a made up mind towards your goal you must believe and not doubt that God desires that you prosper and succeed in your endeavors. (Joshua 1:8)  He or she that doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind, he or she should not think that they will receive anything from the Lord; he or she is double-minded, unstable in all actions. (James 1:6-8)

     After you establish your intention, the key to your progress is in your daily agenda.  Starting today, begin to schedule your day. Stop allowing your day to just happen without the accomplishment of specific tasks.  Success is not by accident, it is planned on a daily basis. Do not despise small beginnings.  I did not allow my position as a housekeeper with Marriott limit my ability to believe for and do more.  My faith in God and the belief that nothing is impossible with Him served as my foundation as I moved beyond my comfort zone as my vision of myself continued to be enlarged by my expanding experiences. Today, my experience as a GM for Marriott, Burger King and Pizza Hut serves as the seeds for building my empowerment training company, The SaySo Group, one word spoken and written at a time.

Success Becomes You